Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Do You Have Passion?

In a movie from nearly two decades ago that many, many reviewers consider utter tripe, there is a quote that strangely sticks with me. The wise-acre character portrayed by Jeremy Piven (an actor formerly beloved as Droz and now besieged as a sexual predator) utters the following would-be wisdom:
You know, the Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died . . . "Did he have passion?"
Okay, so the main problem with that is that it's not actually true and the Greeks did write obituaries, but there's a larger point to be made, and it's one that I embrace as much as John Cusack's character does in the film.

When it's all said and done for us, have we had true passions, and did we savor and explore them and make the most we possibly could out of them?

I love humans' passions, and I love them way more when they are way random. Weird. Possibly hard to defend to the masses.  And seemingly pointless to most others.  Passions from people who see personal value in some off-kilter art form, or activity, or quest. Or blog.  And then see it through to the hilt. 

You know, taking life less seriously.

Enter Alex Bartsch. He's a London-based photographer who seems to be known almost exclusively as the man behind this project. The Covers Project.

As it's described in this article:
He was first introduced to Bob Marley when he was a child, and he got so inspired that he spent 10 years of his life traveling around London searching for original locations of the most famous reggae vinyl covers from 1967 to 1987.
That introductory sentence does no justice to the effort involved or the finished product of his photos.  Check a few of them out.
















There are many, many more.  Have a gander.

This is what passion looks like.  Passion that may possibly, now that Mr. Bartsch has published a picture book, make him a few bucks, but this cannot be a project he embarked on for pecuniary purposes. It's one that you may look upon with an eyebrow raised. You may question his sanity. You may label it a waste of time. You may label him someone with too much time on his hands.

Which is why I love it and appreciate it enormously.

35 comments:

Squeaky said...

This awesome. Zman, TR and Dave should start the NJ cover project.

Whitney said...

This project is hard to do with any other musical subset because it was really a thing where reggae acts of this era’s album covers consistently featured the artists in some outdoor setting. So many covers of other genres are just in some photo studio.

Whitney said...

And then there are records like The White Album and Back in Black which are totally moot.

That doesn’t mean you can’t hear them, Teejay.

zman said...

Hey Shlara!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-fiat-dino-9/

zman said...

When you pick up your Fiat in Huntington Station, swing by various significantly historic places like zwoman's childhood home or FOGTB FD's mom's house.

Whitney said...

Some possibilities, however:

Check Your Head
Who's Next
Ramones
The Clash
Combat Rock
and of course Paul's Boutique

Holy crap. Here we go...

http://flavorwire.com/450092/10-classic-album-covers-seen-on-google-street-view

Whitney said...

Why is this one only $18k??
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1954-rolls-royce-silver-wraith/

"Amenities include a champagne bucket with a stand and a wicker basket containing glassware."

Whitney said...

Even cooler site. Sorry, this stuff is interesting to me...

http://www.mysonicisland.com/album-art-locations.html

Catpell said...

i love those. we could do it with CD covers . . . you just have to hold them a little closer to the camera. cassette tapes? even closer . . .

zman said...

Whit, RR/Bentley don't hold their value particularly well. For example:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-bentley-continental-flying-spur-4/

A 65-year-old coachbuilt car with limited provenance/paperwork is probably a money pit--it's more like owning a sailboat. One commenter opined this car needs $35k in engine work alone.

Catpell said...

if i held onto that stupid "ceremony" cd i'd probably get kicked off the reservation trying to snap the photo.

Catpell said...

i really need to sign back in, especially when i'm saying such stupid stuff.

zman said...

Where did they shoot the cover for Legalize It?

Whitney said...

Johnny G's room in Pi Lam

zman said...

Hagerty.com says the average value on a 1954 Silver Wraith is $113,000 so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

zman said...

R.I.P. King Kong Bundy.

TR said...

Slow work day for Whit, I presume.

Whitney said...

I get shit done, man

Whitney said...

The Rolls went for $24k, Z

Shlara said...

OMG Z--you found my car!!!
Let me get my checkbook

Also, I love the movie Serendipity Whit
It's delightful cinema, despite Piven's presence

Whitney said...

I’m at the Big Head Todd and the Monsters show. And actually rather glad to be here.

rob said...

i sang ‘bittersweet’ onstage with them in salem, va back in 1993 with bill fiveash. ask them if they remember.

Whitney said...

I asked. He said, the guy who looked like Gary Burghoff '73? I said yes, hope that's okay.

Peeps, that was a great rock show. They so overachieved. After ripping through my favorite song of theirs ("Resignation Superman"), they closed the encore with a pair of covers, The Beatles "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and the personalized "Promised Land," which, as you all know, features the city Norfolk, Virginia mentioned not once but twice. Amazingly good stuff. Catch 'em if you can.

rootsminer said...

That's cool Whit. I'm just back from a week in San Diego, where I picked up a few of these spinning wax platters.

Back in the spring of '98, just before I embarked on my Appalachian Trail sojourn, I threw a party in Arlington, at a house I shared with a noteworthy W&M associated Band.

They were playing at the party, to little attention. Then FOGTB Jugz Carlesimov snatched the mic and got the party engaged with an ad lib aong that leaned heavily on rhyming 'Passion' with 'Appalachian'. I'm not sure the band ever recovered from that indignity.

TR said...

I was at that party! I remember very little, other than it was very fun. I think he was yelling “do you have a passion for fashion?” into the mic. Was as logical as it was funny.

I also remember somebody at the house had a copy of the Pam and Tommy tape. I also remember somebody vomited out of the passenger side of a car on a highway on the way back to Derek’s the next morning. He lived what seemed to be 69 miles west of DC.

Maybe it was me who puked. Either way, great party! Half a lifetime ago...

zman said...

I was at that party too, which is pretty remarkable given the timeframe. At some point a bunch of people who weren't in the band commandeered the band's instruments and started playing, causing Chris Keup to remark "That's some really sloppy funk." That stuck with me forever--I never thought of funk in terms of neatness or sloppiness.

Danimal said...

Winchester?

rootsminer said...

I appreciate you guys coming so far, and that after 22 years, some memories endure of the night.

The term 'sloppy funk' makes me think I was involved. Some of those instruments may have gotten their first sloppy funking that very night!

TR said...

I wore my Man U scarf today, b/c it was 10 and b/c I was hoping for some magic from them today. They lost the first match of the 2-match series 2-0. At home, to boot! That meant they needed a 2-0 win to force an OT. A 3-1 win would be a series win b/c the first tiebreaker is away goals. That’s what they pulled off today, with a late goal to advance to the quarters. Nobody will root for this group of global superstars, but they are playing with passion and freedom, and it’s fun to watch.

rob said...

ole gunnar solskjaer is a damn wizard

rootsminer said...

I pulled the game up at work at the end. That was a questionable decision.

TR said...

Stop ruining my narrative!

mr kq said...

Very cool on The Covers Project. Daughter Ally is home for spring break and we enjoyed spinning some tunes last eve. In no particular order, over wine and cider, we listened to Dylan, Feat, Fems, Catpell Stevens, CSN, Sam Cooke, Doobie Bros, and Pure Prairie League. Priceless.

Whitney said...

Catpell Stevens. Very good, sir.

TR said...

DoesCatpell Stevens play sloppy funk?