Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Totei and the Art of Single-Sentence Stories

I typically don't enjoy non-fiction books.  For whatever reason, I can't focus on one real thing for that long.  But I do enjoy non-fiction magazine articles.  You're in, you're enlightened, you're out.  All in six to nine pages.

To that end, you should check out Totei, "a magazine about the art of making."  They cover art, film, food, music, design.  And writing.  One particular article about writing hooked me.

"The Strange Allure of the Single-Sentence Novel" is a must-read.  Not because the author's name is Naomi Xu Elegant (and for the record she is not related to FsOG:TB Danny and Jenny Elegance).  But because of the way she writes about people who publish entire works as a single sentence.

Of the Hungarian Nobel laureate László Krasznahorkai who wrote Herscht 07769, a frattily titled 400 page book containing one sentence, she asks:

Why does he do it?  Is it because, simply, he’s a weird man who just wants to write terribly long sentences, and he doesn’t want you to get a word in edgeways?

That's not an unreasonable way to think of authors who write lengthy stories in one sentence.

Of Ducks, Newburyport, a thousand-page sentence by Lucy Ellman, Elegant quotes a review stating "It feels dense at first, a bit like drowning, without a period or paragraph break in sight."  And when she interviewed Ellman she got this quote about long sentences: "It’s the literary equivalent of menopause." Again, all very on the nose.

In her interview with Daniel Krautz, the author of the 2026 Pulitzer Prize-winning 304 page sentence Angel Down, Elegant pulled this insight: "I didn’t know if people would take one look at it and just be like, 'I don’t want to deal with this.' I really didn’t know if I’d just ruined the book. All I knew is that I really liked it—it was really exciting for me to write.” I can see both sides of this based on my own experience reading long stories told in one sentence—not everyone wants to deal with it, but it's an exciting exercise in self-indulgence for the author.

Mike McCormack, author of the exceedingly long sentence Solar Bones, told Elegant that he "is wary of the long sentence. 'John Banville says the sentence is what sets us above and apart from the animals,' he said. 'I would share that esteem. You want to have some seriously good reasons for renouncing the sentence and for writing long outpours.'"

Go read Elegant's article and maybe some others in Totei like this one about a guy who makes guitars using antique wood salvaged from lower Manhattan, or this one about a living sculpture (which is a bit of a knock-off of my man Ben Behin), or this one about Tape Op, or this one about La Marzocco espresso machines.

And when you're done with that, go read Sentence of Dave, pound-for-pound the best single sentences you can get online.

1 comment:

  1. i can’t tell you how happy z was when he found this article. gleeful, my friends. gleeful.

    ReplyDelete