Monday, January 22, 2024

Small Town Hound: An Update

When we last checked in on my children's book writing process, Dave gave me some excellent ideas. If I were writing a crypto-socio exploration of the oppression of dogs. I considered his advice and proceeded accordingly. 

Today's post is a brief check-in to let you know where we are. And where we are is surprisingly close to actually having a book. Those aware of my predilection for procrastination and warehouse of ideas that never got to the next step might be surprised by that fact. Heck, I'm kinda surprised by that fact. I think the difference in this case is that I'm working with someone else to make the book a reality, and while it's easy for me to quit on myself, it's a lot harder when there's another person to let down. 

In this case, that person is an illustrator and graphic artist named Jessica. You can see some of her work here. She's a talented artist, and as importantly, she's a detail-oriented project manager, which has kept me on track. 

And so we're gonna have a book ready to print in about two weeks. Gulp and zoinks. The next step is to figure out whether to self-publish/self-print or go through Amazon to fulfill. I'm hoping some of the shops here in my little town would be interested in retailing the book, so I think I want to figure out how to get at least an initial run printed, so if y'all know anyone who knows about this sort of thing (kinda looking at you, Rootsy) I'd be much obliged.

For now, here's a preview of the cover for your viewing enjoyment.


18 comments:

Whitney said...

Looks good! Will the author's name appear on the cover?

zman said...

Ron DeSantis has ears like a jackrabbit.

rob said...

and a smile created by artificial intelligence with limited access to actual human emotion

zman said...

Congrats on moving your book forward, by the way.

OBX dave said...

This is excellent. Congrats to you, Rob, and Jessica the illustrator. Hope publishing goes well and without hassle.

OBX dave said...

Interesting stat I stumbled across: Stanford women's hoops coach Tara VanDerveer's teams have more wins (1,203 and counting) than 355 of 360 Division I women's *entire programs.*

Granted, D1 women's hoops history is far more brief than men's. Many programs only started in the 1970s. Still, pretty damned impressive.

Professor G. Truck said...

holy shit! nice job! especially outsourcing the art-- very smart. writing a children's book is not easy . . . the only thing harder than that is learning to rollerblade.

rootsminer said...

I'll be glad to do some research among my printer network on good self publishing options. Glad to hear JoJo marches forward.

Marls said...

Hi Gheorghies.

Whitney said...

Monday night. Marls is a killer.

rob said...

had occasion this morning to send my wife the video for hipsway's 1986 hit 'honeythief'. so it's been a good start to the day.

T.J. said...

tiny, very exciting news on the book front. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

rob said...

ryan gosling got an oscar nomination (best supporting actor) for playing ken in barbie. margot robbie did not get one for playing barbie (though america ferrera did get a best supporting actress nod). that's a bit too on the nose from the patriarchy.

rootsminer said...

Do we think Marls is getting after it on a Monday night, or just popping in to say hi when he gets up to pee?

Whitney said...

It occurs to me that nobody extended sympathies to Z for the Bills' loss.

Sorry, buddy.

zman said...

Thanks Whit. zfamily left me alone to watch the game and zwoman said she knew they lost based on the sounds I made. That said, it wasn't nearly the worst loss in my Bills rooting history or even in this recent Chiefs rivalry. The 36-42 game in 2022 hurt more. This one doesn't come anywhere near Super Bowl XXV or the Music City Miracle.

Mark said...

I extended sympathies to Z via text shortly after the game on Sunday night. As he did for me post Bucs loss. I’m sure he was far more bummed out than I was.

Danimal said...

Hi Gheorghies!