Thursday, February 16, 2023

Notify, Volume VII

Notify is back after a bit of a hiatus. You're welcome.

A Notify Update! 

Spotify has listened to our pleas / ridiculing and has reinstated (or just instated) the following:

  • Smithereens, Especially for You, featuring "In a Lonely Place," "Behind the Wall of Sleep," and "Blood and Roses"
  • Total Coelo, "I Eat Cannibals"
  • Kiss My Ass: Classis KISS Regrooved, featuring the stellar Garth Brooks cover of "Hard Luck Woman" and Toad the Wet Sprocket deconstructing "Rock and Roll All Nite"
That there is what mild success looks like, gheorghies.

We received 2 recent entries in reader mail from a "Zman" in "New Jersey."

-- The Beatnuts album Stone Crazy, featuring "Off the Books"

-- The Walkmen, "Greasy Saint"

Keep those requests pouring in... like The Clash's "Pouring Rain," still not available on this mass music streaming platform. 

On to the Notify show!

I was in the Windy City last month, and I went to the Art Institute solo. So choice. Though I dressed up as Ferris last Halloween, I was Cameron on this outing, spending some time in my thoughts gazing at A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. Mesmerizing. 

And yes, I was tuned in on the phone to the Dream Academy's cover of the Smiths' "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want," but for authenticity, I wanted the instrumental version. Notify.

Is there any good reason this song isn't everywhere? The answer is No. 
Ray LaMontagne's rendition of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy."

This dude is another Zman dig-on. I saw him co-headline with Isbell a couple of years ago. Zed shoulda joined me!

It's understandable why this rando cover outtake isn't widely available. But it still should be. 
Father John Misty, "The Suburbs."

Finally, this one goes out to my good old buddy rob.  Lucky even to locate this long lost gem.
Bruce Greenwood & Circle the Wagons, "2 Ft. O' Butt Crack"

16 comments:

rob said...

ah, memories

Whitney said...

RIP Tim McCarver. Curious what the other Timmy M thought of his Mets-cast stylings.

Marls said...

I liked McCarver when he was Mets broadcaster. Late career McCarver was a bit preachy and I can see why folks were annoyed by him, but he was often right.

Coach Prime did him wrong despite McCarver’s outdated views on two sport athletes.

rob said...

just made the trip from jax to new smyrna beach. made our first buc-ee’s stop. amazeballs. our airbnb is the apartment above a bar. it’s all coming together for the kid.

rob said...

we’re all picking xfl squadrons, no?

Danimal said...

Buc-ee's is the shiznit - you go Rob! I can't believe we were so close to each other, even if for a moment in time.

Professor G. Truck said...

this looks like an old school internet post. weird spacing of the text, some bold stuff and way more random videos than anything else. giving me ebaums world vibes . . .

T.J. said...

props to professor truck for the ebaums world callback

rootsminer said...

Props to Whitney for still producing worthy blood. I think I'd rather have an Airbnb a block or two from a bar. Right above one could have some negatives, especially if there's an open mic night happening.

Marls said...

I picture Rootsy sauntering downstairs in his jammies to berate an open mic’er butchering “Chicken Fried”.

This makes me smile.

rootsminer said...

"You see, you've got make 'woman's love' and 'radio up' rhyme in order to pull this off. You have failed conclusively thus far."

Whitney said...

I’m a DC Defenders guy

Whitney said...

Buc-ee's!

Marls said...

I’m all in on the Seattle Sea Dragons.

rob said...

i assume the arlington renegades are based in rosslyn, and as such, that’s my team

rob said...

distaff wrens fell to towson, now in fifth but only one game off of first in the league. logjam!