Sunday, May 24, 2020

Corona Files: Cleaning Out the Blogarage

The nesting instinct is strong in me as we head towards the end of the third month of pandemic-related self-isolation. I've cleaned out my garage, hung some artwork, steam-cleaned carpets, fired up the grill on multiple occasions, edged the lawn, contracted for landscaping, and bought multiple kitchen gadgets over the interwebz. Today, I turn my attention to this little website.

As a group, we have 232 posts in various states of draft. 156 of those are mine. I have told you before, on many occasions, that I am pretty good at generating ideas and pretty damn lousy at following through on them. I've never really been confronted by such stark evidence of my lack of execution. In 2020 alone, I've started and failed to finish 11 different posts, more than two a month.

The oldest post in draft form is one started by TR entitled, 'Ranking Every Summer Job I Ever Had'. I'd read that one, which was started on June 22, 2011. A few months later, I started one with the headline, 'Towards a Social Psychology of Flatulence'. Apparently it was based on an article in The Atlantic by Andrew Sullivan.

In October 2012, I started a post called 'Things rob Leaves in Drafts', which I assume was meant to look at stuff I started and never finished. Pretty meta, that. Later that same year, Clarence (who I believe is Igor, but possibly Whitney) started but never published the 12th Day of Gheorghemas. Very G:TB, indeed.

Cracker-ass Cracker
Zman has a draft from March 2013 about what car Zman would drive. I think the world needs that one. There's one from the Teej three months later entitled 'Lindsey Graham Cracker Crunch'. Need that one, too. The Doofus Overlord doesn't get mad very often, but that one's got potential.

Marls started something called 'Poop Into a Wormhole' in January 2014. In February 2015, Teej began a post entitled 'Siri, remind me on July 31st to plan for the Palestra', which I believe was a reference to a plan we started to go see a college basketball game or two at that venue in Philly. Spoiler alert: we have not yet done that.

Dave has a handful of entries, one of which in August 2015 was called 'Weird Spooky Scary Awful Shit'. Knowing what kind of stuff lurks in the corners of Dave's brain, this could be just about anything.

Zman has multiple drafts in 2015-16 replete with copious tags, which means he probably got pretty far down the road before running out of gas. That's a shame.

Speaking of running out of gas, I'm getting tired of digging through all the years, so I'm gonna fast-forward a little bit. Most of my stuff is either political or centered around an article I found interesting. I've started no fewer than three posts that attempt to explains our current President. I have no more the stomach or that than he does for the basic duties of his job.

In 2020, I started two separate attempts to write a Scooby Doo-style mystery that featured Samantha Huge as the villain and saw Tony Shaver riding to Dane Fischer's rescue. It's a great idea. Hope it gets finished. Also started a drunken post about how much I love my dog. That'll be an amusing one to see. TR has a bunch in the recent past. He's on vacation now. Nothing but time to blog.

Just like all the rest of us.

23 comments:

Shlara said...

ESPN just ran a show of Sports Center commercials over the years. Gheorghe's dancing spot was the #1 Athlete commercial.

zman said...

Duh

zman said...

I looked at some of my drafts and I swore I published some of them, like Joe Biden and his Corvette or my 2016 Bills preview.

OBX dave said...

A recent installment of Ticked Off Vic. Man's a gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bmMA8YyIR8

rob said...

that's certainly possible, z. i've had the occasional duplicate post in the past.

note that fairbank has no posts in drafts because he claims old dogs can't learn new blogging tricks. mark has no posts in drafts because he finishes what he starts. doesn't start very often.

rob said...

the golf match is fun, in the sense that trainwrecks are fun. tom brady's mental toughness and ability to control his emotions are gonna be tested. i'd have thrown a club by now.

zman said...

JJ Watt’s home office further confirms my view that he’s a tool.

TR said...

I have no memory of starting that post in 2011. That was many scotches ago. I should finish that. I had some whack jobs.

Not sure “Rave Suit” needs to get over the finish line.

TR said...

The Lance doc was thoroughly enjoyable. He was a dick for sure, but he did the same drugs everybody else did. And his foundation did do good things. My opinion on him has evolved a lot. Except for marrying Sheryl Crow. She was a shitty person.

Dave said...

edward cantero beat you to it rob. meddling kids . . .

http://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/2017/09/if-it-wasnt-for-you-meddling-post.html

OBX dave said...

I am capable of learning, though you must speak slowly and use small words, and I cannot endure long periods without supervision.

That said, I was also unaware there is a "drafts" file.

rob said...

good local friends of ours hired a drag queen wearing roller skates to host a socially distanced karaoke party in their cul de sac to celebrate a handful of kids' birthdays last night and the cops busted the event because someone complained about the noise at 9:00 at night. the draq queen is also a friend of ours. her name is anja dick. i swear all of this is true.

rob said...

wow, you guys really hate drag queens. good to know.

Danimal said...

Big day here.
Watched the Lance doc. It's as good as The Last Dance thus far. If you only knew what was filmed and shown to date, I think most would say he's a pretty likeable fella.

TR said...

I concur with Danimal. Unfortunately, I remember him going scorched earth on folks who were telling the truth and saying he doped. He was in a bind. Society was not ready for the “yeah, I am doling, but so is every other rider out here” response.

And I have nothing against drag queens, Rob. I’m just more of a “post op” kinda guy.

rob said...

hope someone’s got some filler for tomorrow. ‘cause i’ve got fuck all.

Mark said...

I loved Lance. The Doc.

I’ll disagree with Danimal. He’s an all time unforgivable dick to me. Not because he cheated (that was his sport) but his scorched earth character assassination approach in an effort to defend his lies.

Mark said...

Also, my recently graduated senior is on a senior scavenger hunt with friends. They stopped off to mark a few off the list. We had to stop them at eating one of our fish. Parenting is weird.

TR said...

The local Fox Sports network recently aired a “Classic Hornets” game. It was from the 89-90 season. I don’t remember anything classic from that year. But I DVR’d it b/c my kid is a Hornets fan (due to PJ Washington - long story).

Anyhoo, we watched some of the game and it was an amazing trip down memory lane. Charlotte had JR Reid, Mugsy Bogues, Rex Chapman, Dell Curry, Tripucka, Kurt Rambis and not much more. They played the Warriors, who had Mullin, Manute Bol, Richmond, Marciulonis (sp?), a frisky Terry Teague, rookie named Tim Hardaway and Uwe Blatt.

Early days of the short shorts with spandex underneath era. Very entertaining.

TR said...

Sorry. It’s Uwe Blab. And Tom Tolbert just made an appearance. He was as brutal a player as he was a commentator.

TR said...

JR Reid may be ahead of Marvin Williams on the all-time fat-ass list of former Tar Heels who had lengthy NBA careers. He’s built like Zion, but with none of the hops.

I need to go to bed.

Danimal said...

As stated, if all you knew about Lance was the 2 hrs shown in Part 1, he's likeable. But since we don't live in caves, we know the background, and much of that involves him being an unmerciless, dishonest, dick.

The similarites between he and MJ did not go unnoticed, specifically identifying someone to go after, a villain of sorts to fuel the will to punish. I wish I had some of that.

Whitney said...

Nah, you don’t, D