Friday, August 09, 2019

A Part of History

This evening in Leesburg, Virginia, I'll be one of 5,000 people to attend the very first game at Segra Field, the home of Loudoun United. The Loudoun team is the USL affiliate of DC United, competing in the second division of American professional soccer.

The outlying elements of the stadium aren't quite complete, but we're ready to kick off this evening. 
Our soccer Club's complex is in the center-left part of the image, up the hill from Segra Field.
Loudoun United is in the midst of its inaugural season as a franchise. Despite having no real home of its own (the team has played at Audi Field in DC and various small venues in the area), the squad has carved out a respectable 5-4-9 record, good for 14th in the 18-team league. Of note, the local side trounced defending USL champions Louisville City, 3-0, on July 28.

Most of you will recall the vital role yours truly played in ensuring our local political officials approved the stadium plan for Loudoun United. Humility being my general modus operandi, I don't take credit for it. But I think we all know how big a deal I am. Just happy to help, really.

As I scan the USL standings, it's a bit of a kick to see Loudoun County, my home, listed among places like Charlotte, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Atlanta, and Ottawa. The team is putting us on the map, baby.

For those that follow these things, there's a W&M connection at play tonight, as well. Antonio Bustamante, W&M Class of 2019, is a striker for Loudoun United. In the aforementioned 3-0 win over Louisville City, he scored his first professional goal and recorded an assist. The buildup to the tally starts around 0:15 in the video below:



The stadium is a little gem of a thing, just down the hill from my local youth club's facility. In the coming year, DC United also plans to build a new headquarters facility in the same area, moving their training operations to Leesburg, as well. Soccer mecca, y'all.

I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't excited about tonight's game and the team's presence in my town. As the game grows in our country, and I work to help kids grow as people and players, this is a pretty damn cool thing.

Viva Loudoun!

25 comments:

rob said...

pour some out for sonny jurgensen...'s broadcasting career

Whitney said...

Sonny was a shell of his former booth self, mirroring the downhill slides of the twilight years of his mates Sam Huff and Frank Herzog before him. But he was a classic, and in his broadcasting heyday, he was the best we had.

rob said...

antonio bustamante scored a beaut for loudoun united, game ended in a 3-3 tie. fun way to open the new joint.

Mark said...

Wal Mart is removing violent video games from there stores. Pretty excited for the removal of guns next week.

rob said...

guns don't kill people, mark. mitch mcconnell kills people.

Mark said...

And then puts up fake headstones. Just joshing though...

rob said...

the country would be so much better if the libs had a sense of humor

rob said...

jeffrey epstein was allegedly on 24-hour suicide watch in a federal prison after attempting to take his own life last week. despite that, he committed suicide last night. "suicide". that's way too convenient for way too many powerful people. someone better get gislaine maxwell stashed away in a safe place.

Mark said...

Rob summed up my thoughts (as well as many others) quite well.

In other news, the heat index is 110 degrees today. Ooof.

zman said...

I feel like there’s a season of Homeland with that plot line.

rob said...

now reports suggest that epstein had been removed from suicide watch. that's...also convenient.

Dave said...

they should remove him from suicide watch now. they could use those watchers somewhere else that needs watching.

Mark said...

Spent most of the 110 degree day at the beach down the street. It was as good a time as one could ask as summer afternoons go. Now drinking beers with friends whilst out at dinner. Nice little Saturday.

Mark said...

Big night in Gheorgheville.

TR said...

Night 2 of dad’s weekend at my kids’ sleepaway camp. No rain, which is a first in my three treks here. But an overnight low of 50 again won’t be fun. Neither was early morning free swim. I got barked at by a counselor for doing a headfirst belly flop off their big slide. If you’re gonna make me swim when it’s 65 degrees and windy, I’m gonna do a bellyflop to impress the other kids and set the “cool dad” bar high.

Mark said...

65 degrees in August?? How do you people live like this?

My stance on Florida is well established. Live right near the coast or don’t. You can save money or you can increase your quality of life. Coastin!!

It’s overall a trashy state but you can live pretty good in a coastal area if you play your cards right.

Danimal said...

Mornin Gheorghies. About to board my flight back to 'Merica.
What Mark said. Though I must say the departure from the FL heat and humidity was loveley. I've been donning a jumper most of my days here. Cheers

Danimal said...

This last comment was made from the loo. Had been in a lounge that had a bank of individual bathrooms, roughly 4. Beautiful. All were unoccupied when I jumped into mine, so felt no pressure to get in an out. That my friends was a good thing. A week of irregularity, (as you know, in the states i'm every morning between 745 & 815), pints galore of the guinness, two indian dinners with the most recent being last night, and the sudden sweat inducing and urgent pains just prior, I had a code red in action. So I was a bit horrified to walk out after no less than 15 minutes to a wall of elder ladies staring at me. They'll be talking about me today for sure. Toodle-ooh England!

Danimal said...

Helloooo London! Wait what? Yessir, London w/the last laugh here. I think she read me last note. After my visit to the loo, I made my way to the plane where I sat for not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 hours before getting to deplane. Awaiting status. I'm sure it'll be quick. Cheers!

TR said...

Another dad’s weekend at camp in the books, this time w/ two boys at the camp. They have a Sunday morning chapel service there. It’s a non-denominational gathering focused on values and preparing young men to make good decisions in a challenging world. Everybody’s a bit punchy by this time, after two nights in a tent, and they do an impressive job of combining music and stories in a beautiful outside setting next to a picturesque New England lake.

Some counselors with musical instruments played Cat Stevens’ Father and Son during the ceremony. A brave camper did the vocals and crushed it, which is no easy feat. May have gotten a bit dusty under my Ray Bans as I sat b/w my sons.

mr kq said...

That song is top five sounding on the ‘ol analog system. You would not believe the sound, it comes from everywhere but the speakers. The sound dances across the fireplace and mantle. I can’t even really explain how it sounds but if you’re ever in NoVA I’ve got a few delicious beers for you and a spot for you in The Chair. Hope to make it happen. Cheers

Whitney said...

Love that song. Used to know it on guitar. May have to revisit.

Squeaky said...

Mr. KQ, one of these days I'll have to add an extra day on a VA trip just for that experience.

Anyone want some Tree House beer for OBFT? Trying to decide if I should check a bag and some beer in it. Dave, I know your vote.

Dave said...

sad to say, but my vote doesn't count this year. i just switched from middle school soccer coach to high school soccer coach, and we're in the midst of double sessions . . . no obft for me. hopefully the schedule will work out next year . . . i will miss you guys!

rootsminer said...

I'm game for beer, but don't think I even trust cans to the airline baggage gauntlet.
My mother in law showed up yesterday for a visit of unknown duration. I cleared brush like a madman all day, then started packing for OBFT last night. Feels kind of like planning an escape...