Tuesday, July 17, 2018

...And Ned Beatty As Donald Trump

I'm perhaps second only to Teejay around these parts as someone averse to spending time on politics, and when I do it's pretty dumb.  So here goes.

There is exactly one thing that came to mind as I saw the footage of the much-assaulted Putin-Trump besties press conference yesterday.  And it's a movie scene from my adolescence.  Please watch this for couple of minutes and tell me this isn't exactly what went down in Helsinki when DJT was asked about the Russian election meddling..

(Because every political blogpost should feature Rodney Dangerfield.)


It could be argued that our President also has startling similarities to another Ned Beatty character in celluloid history, his Otis to Putin's Lex Luthor.

Now... if only Donald Trump could give us a spot-on all-time Ned Beatty scene from another entry in his filmography...

And finally, because Jon Stewart is seen as much on TV as he is in the College Delly these days, here is your "Moment of Zen."


20 comments:

zman said...

One of you Loudon County guys needs to make this happen:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-jaguar-xjs-8/

12 cylinders, convertible, 54k miles, British pedigree, stealth paint? This is a fantastic Q-ship for blasting around on backroads.

rob said...

nobody wants to see trump in *that* beatty, scene, man. though the russians may already have the footage.

zman said...

Big week at GTB.

TR said...

I’m with you, Rob. I’m thinking about The Toy as well.

Whitney said...

Where is everybody?

rob said...

hi, whitney!

Whitney said...

Hello, Robert. Watching the midsummer classic?

Danimal said...

Hi. I'm in FLA.

Whitney said...

The Robin Williams documentary is very well done. A sad conclusion, obviously, but there are so many of his clips, quips, and bits, as well as insights in the guy and into his demise. It's worthy.

rootsminer said...

Guys, we missed the Ted Nugent show in Roanoke last night!

According to my buddy Tad from the local paper, ole Nuge is pretty into himself.

Whitney said...

WTF does our fraternity brother Edward T. "Ted" Nugent (no bullshit) do these days? Has he changed his name?

rootsminer said...

I would probably consider it were that me. The other guy seems to have a stranglehold on that particular handle.

Whitney said...

Nice one

rob said...

i met ben olsen, dc united's head coach, and jason levien, the club's owner, at an event this evening. dc united is bringing a usl (second division in the u.s. soccer professional pyramid) team to my county, and they had a launch party at a local brewery this evening. ben olsen, who played for dc united and the usmnt, is listed at 5'8". i can confirm that this is a generous measurement.

and if any of you need loudoun united swag, send me your sizes.

Whitney said...

In the professional arena, I must confess that my impression of someone's astuteness declines rapidly if they say "fiscal year" and it sounds like they are saying "physical year." For the next few sentences of whatever they are saying, I'm tuned out and thinking, Do they really think we mean a 'physical year,' like as opposed to a 'mental year' or 'spiritual year'?"

I need some mental cues to get past that. Not fiscal cues.

rob said...

ask them how to say nuclear.

Whitney said...

Ah yes. That one, too.

Whitney said...

This has been one of the weakest weeks in GTB memory. TR back to work, Z dealing with crap, Dave on vacation again, Teej still defected to Twitter, and the rest of us otherwise occupied. Bummer.

T.J. said...

Teej has been in Portland and now Minneapolis this week for the cracker factory. Teej sick of travel.

zman said...

I blame the Jungle Brothers. Too funky you didn't want to get with it.

I spent the day at the most frustrating hearing of my professional career. Luckily they serve Dogfishhead on the Acela.