Tuesday, September 29, 2026

WWDD, an Anti-Political Prescription

I found it heartening, if not surprising, that the news of Dolly Parton's passing was met with an outpouring of emotion and love, and a flood of fond memories from every corner of the globe - geographically, sure, but culturally, as well. Rock stars, actors, authors, everyday people, and politicians - everyone that had anything to say about Dolly did so in an overwhelmingly positive way.

Been thinking about that last category of folks ever since Dolly left us.

Nearly everything you could see on the surface about Dolly would suggest a conservative-coded person, politically speaking. From her upbringing in a poor family in a very rural environment to the way she presented herself visually as an old-school sex symbol - curvy and coiffed but never tawdry - to her accent to her "aww-shucks-I'm-just-a-little-ol'-girl-from-Tennessee" manner to the music she wrote and released, it would be easy to imagine a right-wing lean in her personal politics. I suspect more than a few MAGA folk thought she was one of them.

Just as the face Dolly showed the public belied a whip-smart businesswoman with interests far beyond music, so too did her less-obvious actions open a window into how she actually saw the world. Among many other things, Dolly Parton:

  • Gave families $1,000/month for 6 months in 2016, when wildfires hit her Smoky Mountain hometown
  • Supported flood survivors in Middle TN with a $700,000 donation in 2021,
  • Donated $1M to fund COVID vaccine research in 2020
  • Gave $1M in 2024, after Hurricane Helene, and her foundation matched it.
  • Supported the LGBTQ+ community way before it was fashionable, once saying, "I've had to go against all kinds of people through the years just to be myself. I think everybody should be allowed to be who they are and love who they love."
    • She included lyrics about supporting gay family members in her 1991 song, "Family"
    • She came out in support of marriage equality in 2009
    • Was openly supportive of queer people visiting Dollywood, her Pigeon Forge, TN resort and amusement park
    • True story: Dolly once entered a drag Dolly-lookalike contest...and lost!
  • Speaking of Dollywood, in 2021, as housing prices climbed in its Smoky Mountain region, Dolly's company (motto: "Lead with Love") built a 750-unit apartment complex for seasonal, international, and temporary employees who would otherwise have difficulty affording lodging. 
  • Famously donated more than 300 million books (and counting) to children across the world through her Imagination Library program.


I'm quite sure there are scores of other examples, public and private, of how Dolly lived her truth. A truth that hewed a lot closer to Jesus' teaching than does much of what passes for today's American Christianity and "conservative" values. She famously and conspicuously avoided taking public political positions, but as an online commentator said after she died, "Dolly Parton’s life is a political statement for those with eyes to see and ears to hear."

If I may be so bold, here's a short list of how I'd answer the question What Would Dolly Do?, as a personal and political prescription:

  • Be yourself
  • Laugh with your whole body
  • Love your people fiercely, and love everyone else, too
  • Care for the least among us
  • Tell bigots and misogynists to go fuck themselves (in the "bless your heart" sorta way)
  • Lift up children
  • Support science
  • Sing, dance, make music, and make fun.
I tell you what. If someone ran for office on that platform, they'd get my vote.

4 comments:

  1. dennis haskins, it turns out, did not ascribe to wwdd. seems he was a bit of a creep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Nothing's shocking any more but I thought Screech was the creepy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait 'til you hear about mario lopez

    ReplyDelete