Tuesday, August 04, 2026

zShazams Are Back!

I've been slacking off with my zshazams effort.  Here are a few gems I discovered since my last post and I dedicate them to some Gheorghies.

"Theme for Moon Children" by Duane Eddy

This is a twangy western guitar song with a grand soaring string section, very cinematic.  It's very much of a time and place that heavily involve vinyl.  Accordingly, this one's for Mr. KQ (he probably has it on a 78).

"Florida Water Blues" by Twisted Teens

This is the title track of Twisted Teens' new album.  I hadn't heard of them before I heard this song and it motivated me to check out the whole album.  You should too because it's good.  They're a duo from New Orleans and they make straightforward rock n roll with a mildly swampy southern sensibility.  "Florida Water Blues" is perhaps the swampiest song on the album and it works for a number of Gheorghies.  rootsy, because of the line "You can drink that Florida water and go blind" which reminds me of Franklin County moonshine, and because it sounds like the sort of stuff he would've told me to check out back in 308.  I don't know if DJ Herb is a G:TB lurker but it works for him as the resident ORF Rock Floridian.  Whit will like it too--he likes almost everything and the album has a few songs that sound like what would happen if the Drive-By Truckers were born in the 1990s and decided to make punk rock.

"Get Away From Me (I Think I'll Love You Soon)" by Julia Jacklin

This song sounds like what would happen if you created a song to ensnare rob.  A cute Australian hipster songwriter/chanteuse singing an ambivalent love song over simple guitar chord melodies with almost no rhythm and a minimal eight bar breakdown?  This is an early single for her next album, arriving September 25.  If you listen closely you can hear rob adding a reminder to his Outlook calendar.  

"Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out" by Bentley Rhythm Ace

This song sounds like what would happen if you asked AI to generate a 90's electronica song.  And I like it!  I feel like I should have heard this song before, maybe on the soundtrack to a Guy Ritchie movie or a vodka commercial.  This one's for Jerzy Dave.

"Ca Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand

This song sounds like what would happen if the Beach Boys were from Belgium and they made a pop punk record in French.  Clocking in at just under 3 minutes, the title roughly translates to "everything is going well for me."  It features a driving four-on-the-floor beat with speedy guitars and no discernible bass line but maybe that makes sense given that it was recorded in 1977 by a Belgian guy.  I think Whit will enjoy this one (and I won't be surprised if he's already familiar with it).

"Jungle Birds" by Lulu Lewis

This song sounds like a pair of Gen X art kids grew up but never stopped messing around with sound and recorded some of it.  And apparently that's the case.  Evan "Funk" Davies from WFMU said Dyscopia was the best album of 2022 and "Guest musicians on the project have included Sergio Rotman (Los Fabulosos Cadillacs), Brendan Canty (Fugazi), Jay Dee Daugherty (Patti Smith Group)."  This has Squeaky written all over it (and he will probably shake his head when he learns that I never heard of them before this).

"Don't Tell Your Mama (Where You've Been)" by Eddie Floyd

This song sounds like something Dexter St. Jacques's uncle from Alabama would write. "Let me show you how a woman acts/When a man gets to feelin' that he's got to have a love affair."  Bars.

"Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young" by Eddy Arnold

Lots of Eddys in this zshazams.  This is a legitimately old time rockabilly song with awesome lyrics.  "I wanna leave a lotta happy women/A-thinkin' pretty thoughts of me/I wanna live fast, love hard, die young/And leave a beautiful memory."  I'm not sure who recorded it first, Eddy Arnold or Faron Young, but I heard Eddy's version on the radio so that's what I'm going with.  It's old school, southern, tremendously witty.  Right up OBX Dave's alley.

And here are the songs as a playlist.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. can confirm, julia jacklin is in the wheelhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Plastic Bertrand song has been in a movie and/or commercial. Racking my brain before searching for the answer on the internet. anyone?

    also - we take my kid to college tomorrow, Auburn. #WarEagle!

    ReplyDelete