Thursday, November 09, 2023

Tiger Redux

Our favorite NPB team, the Hanshin Tigers, won the Japan Series this weekend.  My friends in Osaka are overjoyed and they sent me some cool (to me at least) photos after the win.  Postcount, too.

One guy sent me a photo of his TV screen shortly after the win.


You can see he has all his good luck charms spread out above the TV.

Another guy sent me a few photos of the train he takes to work along with translations.



This one says "Number 1 in Japan.  Thank you for your support!"


This one is from the gate of the massive Hanshin-Umeda station and it says "Number 1 in Japan. The fans were full of support and encouraged the team. We are truly grateful for your support."

I've been invited back to Koshien to watch the defending champs.  It's a long way to go for a ballgame but I'm down if anyone else wants to join me.  

8 comments:

rob said...

tora o okosu!

we got a new point guard to root for, too. check out this story about howard's joshua strong: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/09/joshua-strong-howard-law-basketball/

rob said...

your wrens take on old nemesis american in the ‘burg this evening

rob said...

met a trio of washington spirit players in a local coffee shop this afternoon, including uswnt player ashley sanchez. one of the players is a rookie who graduated from colorado last year and saw me wearing a buffs t-shirt and approached me. so that was a fun little brush with greatness.

rootsminer said...

I hope you played it cool.

rob said...

ok, so i think you all know i'm not afraid to deprecate myself, but i think i was pretty, pretty cool in this encounter. she approached me, asked about the buffs shirt. i explained about my daughter, she told me about her connection, then we talked about her season, rehab from a knee injury she's dealing with, the spirit owner, how much she enjoyed having the buffs cheer team at soccer games. we talked for about 10 minutes, then i met the other two. so i'm gonna say i did just fine.

rob said...

tribe beat american by 19. i think we're looking at a special season.

rob said...

iowa/tech ladies hoops is bringing it. caitlin clark is her.

Whitney said...

It’s the Tribe’s a special season like the 1991-92 season of Blossom?