Monday, September 05, 2022

Music Heard While Rambling

Observers of the G:TB comments section know that my wife and I spent this weekend (our first as empty nesters) in the Laurel Highlands, mingling with the country folk and visiting several Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. Most will be familiar with Fallingwater, and it's spectacular, but I enjoyed Kentuck Knob more. The former is basically architecture as sculpture, while the latter was designed to be lived in. It's a 2,200 square foot home built - literally - into the side of a hill, with expansive views from the rear deck and copious sculptural elements in the surrounding forest and meadows. Really dug it. 


Really, though, this post is an excuse to post some new tunes I came across and dug as we drove all over SW PA cranking SiriusXMU. Do enjoy.  

Sudan Archives is the stage name of Brittney Parks, a Los Angeles-based multi-talented musician. She's got a new record entitled Natural Brown Prom Queen coming out this month, and SiriusXMU has been banging the hell out of 'Selfish Soul'. 

Arctic Monkeys are also releasing a new album soon. The Car drops on October 21. The first single from the record is 'There'd Better Be A Mirrorball', which is a louche, slinky number that evokes a really good lounge act.

Katie Crutchfield from the brilliant Waxahatchee teams up with Jess Williamson to comprise Plains. Their first single is an aching ode to lost love entitled 'Abilene'. I could listen to this one for days.

And last but not least, Gorillaz' new collab with Tame Impala and Bootie Brown is a certified banger.

24 comments:

rob said...

zman reminds me that he already hipped us to sudan archive. great minds. also, forgetful ones.

zman said...

We are ahead of the curve, which is recursive.

zman said...

No one likes new music.

Marls said...

Or architecture

rootsminer said...

I feel seen. I'm sure there's new music I'd like, but I'm currently being eaten alive by 'Billy in the Low Ground', so all that other music is going to have to wait.

Donna said...

Touring Falling Water is on my list.
I spent Labor Day flying back from a trip of 10 incredible days in Scotland. That ended with leaving our oldest at St. Andrews for his sophomore year. I drove a manual shift car on the left side of roads the size of a bike path (or so they seemed in places) 830 miles around the country. The Isle of Skye and SW Coast are some of the most beautiful, wild, and cool places I’ve been. The Scottish Highlands —definitely worthy!

Marls said...

What version Rootsy or are you trying to add it to your own catalogue?

Marls said...

Awesome trip, Donna. Hopefully you were able to to refresh the batteries a bit while there.

zman said...

Nice! I have never driven in a country that drives on the left. I do not think I can do it competently. I'm impressed Donna.

Whitney said...

I listened to Dave’s episode 6 of his podcast while I ate a burrito bowl for lunch. Yes, I’m a little bit behind, as he has produced 11 chapters. Let me recommend Episode 6 as one of the most informative and interesting things I’ve listened to in a while. Great stuff.

rootsminer said...

Marls- I spent yesterday installing the best approximation of Burnett & Rutherford’s version that I can muster. It’s a really slippery tune.

I’ve begun fiddling in public at our local weekly old time jam. It’s generally underwhelming, but the practice opportunity it affords me is tough to dispute. I’ve got some thoughts I’m hoping to work into an actual post. We shall see about that.

Marls said...

Fiddling?!? Interesting. I assumed that you were picking it Tony Rice style. This might warrant a trip to Big Lick

rob said...

this is a conveeenient break for kyrgios.

Whitney said...

So my town, like many in America, has started to suffer routine shootings. Like… way too frequently. Milquetoast mayor has tried to get a long list of other jobs and bail. City council is weak. Police force underfunded and way, way understaffed. Last estimate was 150 officers short of full staff. Latest chatter this evening was that a dispute over a PS4 led to someone firing many shots at a house a couple blocks down from the one where I grew up. Gooooooood times.

rob said...

that...that's whitney's mayoral music!

rob said...

i have a neighbor who's planning to run for town council here in the next few years. after i cut my teeth advising him on his campaign, i'll head south and get the orf squared away.

rob said...

kyrgios has so much easy talent. and he's such a dick of a human. shame, that.

Whitney said...

Bring it, robbie

OBX dave said...

Boehly and Co. stirring the pot at Chelsea, 100 days in. Sacked Tuchel.

Whitney said...

I was on a Zoom with some folks from NC whom I had not met. I used the expression "nobody put a gun to their head or anything" and instantly felt horrible in the wake of gun violence everywhere. I may have imagined it, but I felt like some frowns emanated. I need to eradicate that expression from my casual usage.

Professor G. Truck said...

thanks whit!

i'm going to use the word "louche" in an episode-- as soon as i learn what it means . . rakish?

Professor G. Truck said...

oh right, episode 6 was a doozy . . . they get lighter after that one

rob said...

us open cup final on espn+. second-division sacramento republic at mls side orlando city fc. cup hasn't been won by a non-mls side since 1999.

rob said...

my 18 y/o told me today she's going for a full sleeve this year. that's gonna require a lot of cover makeup during cheer competitions.