Monday, May 09, 2022

Coming to Terms with Things I Don't Understand

It's the natural way of things for older generations to baffle at the ideas, popular culture, and mores of the young. I consider most of the Gheorghieverse to be fairly hip for our increasingly advanced ages, but there are things I personally struggle to grasp, even as my kids navigate them with effortless fluency. 

Here's a recent case in point.

As noted often in this space, my eldest daughter is a rare and wondrous thing. She's all instinct and Id, an in-the-moment being who thrives on human contact, novelty, and expression. She amazes me on a regular basis.

Or, I guess I should say, they amaze me on a regular basis.

Several months ago, while at dinner in Richmond, my kid told me and my wife that they identify as non-binary and prefer they/them pronouns. Flippantly, I said, "How does that work? Can I identify as tall?" And my child, who's generally a sunny person and not quick to anger, got genuinely pissed at me because they thought I was making light of a pretty major development in their life.

So I'm writing this post as a way to begin to think through my feelings and understanding of a topic that's honestly really confusing to a 51 year-old cis white dude.

On the right, my brilliant loon of a child
I had a really excellent conversation with my kid last week about their perspective. I came at it very much seeking to learn and understand. I know more than I did before, but I'm still a work in progress. But the gist of it is that they reject the expectations that society places on us from birth, where we're socialized as two genders. That binary socialization doesn't fit everyone's concept of their being. 

If you know my kid, you'll get that the whole notion of rejecting expectations and norms is pretty dead on in terms of keeping with their history. As you might note from the picture that accompanies this post.

They said something during our conversation that has stayed with me, even as it remains a paradox. "I feel more woman than man, and more boy than girl." This from a person that likes to wear slinky cocktail dresses and Doc Martens when she goes to metal shows and enters the fray of the mosh pit. I get it. I think.

I've got work to do. I still call them her reflexively, but they're forgiving of that. I wrestle with the biological versus emotional/intellectual elements of a non-binary identity, but they tell me it's not about biology at all - they're very comfortable with their physical body.

The entire thing, like my kid, is endlessly fascinating. And that's...one to (continue to) grow on.

11 comments:

rootsminer said...

Good on you, Rob. Thanks for sharing.

Mark said...

You're open minded and inquisitive it seems. My experience is that is usually enough of a starting point to have kids accept and appreciate your efforts.

Whitney said...

"Be curious, not judgmental."

I would have the same challenges that you do, rob, were that to occur with one of my girls. But you're leading with love, which is all I know how to do where mine are concerned. Good on you.

OBX dave said...

Heartfelt, fascinating post. Who says G:TB can't be educational? I just learned the term "genderqueer."

Donna said...

I’ve said for years that my husband and I are basically hangin’ on in this wild ride by our toes with raising our three kids. The world’s moving much faster than our old minds and hearts can handle, so we hang on and hope to learn as we go. And that we don’t screw up too much. We had a fascinating convo with our HS junior son and freshmen daughter recently about gender categories/non-binary/trans/etc. They have multiple friends identifying in a variety of ways, and they’re often visiting our home—just having us try to get the new names and pronouns right seems greatly appreciated by them. So, kudos to you, Rob, sounds like you’re doing great!

Whitney said...

$25 tickets to concerts at LiveNation venues. Offer ends today.

Click here to learn more.

Shlara said...

Helping your kids be the best version of themselves, whoever that may be--that's the whole ballgame. Thanks for sharing Rob.

And, I feel really good about turning the steering wheel over to this next generation. They are the antidote to the Boomers.

rob said...

amen to that last sentence, shlara. they're so much better than their elders.

OBX dave said...

Several of you know Boehly, but any of you cross paths with D. Scott or Jennifer Mackesy, whose name is going on W&M's new performance center?

https://richmond.com/sports/college/william-and-mary/new-67-million-facilities-initiative-designed-to-amplify-athletics-at-william-mary/article

rob said...

indeed, dave. i was part of an intramural floor hockey team that took down scott mackesy’s highly-favored lambda chi alpha team in the 1991 tournament semifinals before falling to pi kappa alpha in the finals. we got revenge on pika the following year, as i scored from a faceoff with under a minute to play to send the game to overtime and then slid the ballpuck to coby beck for him to slot home the winner in overtime. pandemonium ensued.

also, jen tepper mackesy was a tribe soccer stud. we did not beat her in any intramural sports.

Whitney said...

Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end