Monday, February 05, 2007

Remind me again why today isn't a national holiday?

This is a fluid list - you lose two in a week like Virginia Tech and George Washington and look what happens…

1. Virginia Commonwealth (20-4, 12-1)
They weren’t going undefeated in a tough CAA, so the loss AT second place Hofstra isn’t a killer. They still have a 1 game lead on the Pride and a 2 game lead on ODU…plus they’re 20-4. You see any other 20 win teams on this list? Didn't think so. [Thanks to Mark for pointing out this Anthony Grant article on SI.com]

2. Virginia (15-6, 7-2)
Solid week for Dave Leitao and the Singletary/Reynolds backcourt (combined 38 ppg). They keep this up and I might actually be able to spell Leitao's without having to look it up first. Winners of six straight, UVA can pretty much ruin Maryland's season tomorrow night.

3. Georgetown (16-5, 6-2)
They've won five in a row, but against complete Big East donkeys - Rutgers, Cincy, Seton Hall, St. Johns and Depaul. Four of those teams will be missing the Big East tourney at Madison Square Garden. However, they've crept to #3 on this list because they might be the most dangerous team come the Madness - that offense, Green's athleticism and Gigantor Roy Hibbert make them an extremely tough match-up.

4. Virginia Tech (16-7, 6-3)
Seth, buddy, what happened? Right the ship before you're .500 in the ACC...and staring at a NIT bid. Since when did the hoops team adopt the football team's strategy of "Early Season Success, Late Season Collapse"?

5. Loyola (Md.) (13-9, 9-3)
First place team in the MAAC, still. MAAC tourney this year in Bridgeport, CT should be a doozy. In other MAAC news, Iona got it's first W Saturday, and now stands at 1-22 on the year. I think GTB played a vital role in that first win.

6. Old Dominion (17-7, 10-3)
Winners of 5 in a row, they are making a surge at the right time, AND they have the non-conference road win over Georgetown to show the Committee in March. And yes, they're ahead of GW, because the CAA is a better conference than the A-10.

7. George Washington (15-6, 6-3)
The A-10 sucks, GW just lost both conference games this week, and they’re now in 3rd place. Hey, at least they’re ahead of Marlyand.

8. Maryland (17-6, 3-5)
I asked Whit to chime in again on Gary and the boys:
"Nothing pithy today. MD is cooked."
Thanks Whit, we now go live to Ollie Williams with the Blackuweather Report...

9. George Mason (13-10, 7-6)
The bottom of this list is stretching it thin...not much about George Mason or Towson below scream Top 10. So, when is the Disney movie coming out about the magical Final Four run last year? And who is playing Larranaga?

10. Towson (12-12, 6-7)
When in doubt, add another CAA team (just not my awful alma mater). American and Navy are stinking up the Patriot league, JMU is a nightmare and I'm not casting novelty votes for some guy named Rory. So Towson and my boy Gary Neal it is.

15 comments:

T.J. said...

Another stupendous 4-4 week in the Aggro Crag picks...

rob said...

overlooked in the win, but leonard hamilton did a terrrrrrible job in the closing minutes of the fsu/duke game on sunday. the noles deserved to lose simply because of the awful technical he drew.

Mark said...

Quick Leonard Hamilton story while I'm avoiding work:

A kid who interned for me was a manager for the FSU Bball team. He said that so few people called in to the Leonard Hamilton show, that the managers were forced to call in questions from another room under assumed names. I'm not sure if that speaks to the apathetic attidue of FSU fans toward basketball or Leonard's electric personality. Probably a little of both.

T.J. said...

Hamilton was a great NBA coach as well...

Jerry said...

That reminds me of a time when I won a CD in college by being the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd caller to one of our campus radio programs. They had 3 CDs to choose from. My choice? Keith Sweat. But it was only a single and it wasn't "Twisted" which is an awesome song.

T.J. said...

The banner ads on espn.com continue to promote the Transformers movie, and I am very much interested...

T.J. said...

Are you drinking, or are you Greg?

T.J. said...

Who am I kidding...carry on...

T.J. said...

Must win game for the Cuse tonight...

Mark said...

I'd have never guessed Jerry for a Keith Sweat fan, even if its just "Twisted". He and my girlfriend have something in common now. Scary.

As for Transformers, that movie will be well worth the trip after a long and strenuous papal election.

Marco said...

I'm really liking UVA as a sleeper tourney team this year..

Jerry said...

90s slow jams are awesome. I have several R. Kelly CDs and a Shai tape.

Mark said...

Somebody is impersonating me(Why?). While I do like UVA a bit right now, there's no way I made that comment last night.

If I was going to make a comment last night, it's that Eric Devendorf makes the horrible decisions of any high profile guard I've seen in years. How is he so bad?

T.J. said...

I wanted to throw my Tv at him last night. No look passes in crunch time = bad.

rob said...

i'm more interested in figuring out who's impersonating jerry "slow jam" flantastico.