Not exactly dipshittery, but a return to a normality. Glen Hansard, who passed away in a motorcycle accident on July 29, was your favorite musician's favorite musician. Hansard was beloved by the greats, the goods, the unknowns, and the up and comers because he just absolutely loved music with all his being. Here are just a few of the things he did, and a few of the ways the community celebrated him.
I didn't realize until his passing that he'd played guitarist Outspan Foster in The Commitments. Check out his story about getting the part and then enjoy his stylings.
Hansard started as a busker, playing on the streets of Dublin. He never forgot those roots, and organized a annual Christmas Eve Busk starting in 2010 to raise money for the Dublin Simon Community, a group that works to support homeless Dubliners. Here he is at the 2015 edition of the Busk with a few folks you might know.
Look at how much he loves watching others - this is him at a recent Busk glowing as he looks on while young Dubliner (who started as a busker herself) Allie Sherlock plays. Shit breaks your heart.
In addition to his solo work and numerous collaboration, Hansard recorded three gorgeous records with Czech singer-pianist Marketa Irglova as The Swell Season. Shlara turned us on to them years ago. The 2007 movie Once is a fictional depiction of their musical pairing, with the pair starring. You'll be familiar with "Falling Slowly". Just fucking beautiful. True story: I have a female friend with whom I share tunes I think are cool (and she with me). I sent her this song when I first heard it. And then had to quickly explain that I just thought it was a cool song - no deeper meaning.
Here he is eulogizing Shane MacGowan just a few years ago.
Just hours before he passed, he spent an evening in a pub in West Dublin. Cliche to say he died doing what he loved, but he certainly did what he loved right to the too-early end. He was celebrated by just about everyone:
we are officially the host parents of an exchange student as of this afternoon. let the cultural intermingling begin!
ReplyDelete